Monday, February 2, 2009

El Fin

This, once again, comes as good news as my army defeats the Confederates at Appomatox. Today on April 9, 1865, my army successfully was able to breakthrough the defenses of the Confederacy. Lee recommended that we two met to discuss the problem at hand: the surrender of the South. Both of us met at the battlefield, him in immaculate attire and I wearing mud covered regular army issued clothes. We discussed the terms of the surrender, but I stood firm with the same option that I gave him last time,

"In accordance with the substance of my letter to you of the 8th inst., I propose to receive the surrender of the Army of N. Va. on the following terms, to wit: Rolls of all the officers and men to be made in duplicate. One copy to be given to an officer designated by me, the other to be retained by such officer or officers as you may designate. The officers to give their individual paroles not to take up arms against the Government of the United States until properly exchanged, and each company or regimental commander sign a like parole for the men of their commands. The arms, artillery and public property to be parked and stacked, and turned over to the officer appointed by me to receive them. This will not embrace the side-arms of the officers, nor their private horses or baggage. This done, each officer and man will be allowed to return to their homes, not to be disturbed by United States authority so long as they observe their paroles and the laws in force where they may reside."

Not only on these terms did I give to Lee, but I also allowed him to take all mules and horses for the next crop harvest and I gave his army food rations. As we turned away to go each other's own way, my men started cheering. I demanded that they stop because they are now our united brothern once again. I was happy to see that the battle was not that bloody and could be settled in such a nice manner.

-Ulysses S. Grant


Resources:
http://www.footnote.com/image/4346760/

No comments:

Post a Comment