Sunday, February 1, 2009

Vicksburg

I would like to thank everyone that helped me pull off one of the greatest victories in my military career. It is true that I, Ulysses S. Grant, have cut off my once flowing beard in order to show change that can accompany a person as well as a country. July 4, 1863 was the final date that I could stand against the Confederacy. My "Army of the Tennessee" deserves the most congratulation on their triumphant defense against the confederates at the Mississippi River. They did their best and their best was good against the Confederates. We pushed them back until we were able to take over their fortified city of Vicksburg, Mississippi. The newspapers say that Gettysburg and this battle are the main two that set the course of action to become the 'turning point' in the war. I am pleased with the results of myself and my army. This win has brought the Union control of the Mississippi. I will continue to defend the Union with all of my might.

-Ulysses S. Grant

References:
Korn, Jerry, and the Editors of Time-Life Books, War on the Mississippi: Grant's Vicksburg Campaign, Time-Life Books, 1985

http://www.granthomepage.com/grantphotos.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment