Monday, January 26, 2009

The Emancipation Proclamation

It is wonderful news! The President of the United States has issued the Emancipation Proclamation. The reason behind this war we have fought for so long has been settled. My recent promotion to Major General has added to this wonderful event. Not all slaves could be freed, but the majority have been released. Most moved North and are adding to our population which will eventually become beneficial to America. I'm finally glad to have peace and to be able to stay with my family and rest. I just want to congratulate Lincoln on his achievement!

-Ulysses S. Grant


Resources:
http://xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/hadams/eha17.html

Free at last: a documentary history of slavery, freedom, and the Civil War. Berlin, Ira. New York Press. 1992.

1 comment:

  1. I mean no disrespect General Grant, but my reasons for serving in this war are not to free the slaves but to reunite this country. I believe that slavery is a viable institution. It is not my duty to judge our President but it is to see to it that we win this war. Until the next dispatch, General Grant.

    -W.T. Sherman, Major-General

    ReplyDelete