Thursday, January 22, 2009

Battle of Bull Run!

On June 17, 1861, I was appointed Colonel of the 21st Illinois Infantry. I thought nothing could eradicate this aura of accomplishment that I have been feeling; until the Battle of Bull Run broke into the headlines. I don't know what makes the Confederacy think they can keep trying to move farther north into our territory. Their slavery concept is meant for the South, not for up here. We now know that a war within America is evident. The retreat of the Union from the battle cannot be good for the reputation of the North. This is only the first battle, and it will definitely not be the last upon American soil. I will, to the best of my ability, use my military skills to help defeat Confederacy and restore peace to all of America.

-Ulysses S. Grant


Resources:
Military History of Ulysses S. Grant, from April, 1861, to April, 1865. Badeau, Adam.

No comments:

Post a Comment